Is archiving Maximo asset data part of the Asset Management Lifecycle?
If managing assets is the main function of Maximo, and archiving is the final step in the asset management lifecycle, why isn’t archiving Maximo asset data part of the Data Governance policy? Is it simply the term “archiving” implies difficult, time & resource consuming, expensive? Does it imply that the data is gone forever or inaccessible? Alchemize can solve these challenges by automating the system analysis and data mapping and by generating transformation code. But let’s stick to the topic.
There are many reasons given, but none that seem to justify the lack of action. In any other enterprise data environment, it is simply part of the Information Management Lifecycle. Let’s start there. It is important to recognize that the Asset Management Lifecycle is a continuous process, while an individual asset and all associated data has an end to its purpose. If the asset data and all associated data (such as work orders, etc.) are not removed from the production system, it remains and accumulates. “Storage is cheap!”, might be a good argument. However, consider the costs and resources involved in continuing to maintain data that is irrelevant.
Reasons to consider archiving data for retired or decommissioned assets.
- Managing the increasing volume of data
- Application performance degradation
- Maintaining data for regulatory compliance/audits
- Extended time and resources (weeks and months of highly skilled techs) used for data projects
- Perform System analysis
- Map systems, more data means more tables…
- Consolidate systems, more mapping
- Upgrading old data to new application or database system, again with the mapping
- Migrating to cloud – wouldn’t automated mapping be helpful?
- Delayed response time for report generation due to bloated system
- Inaccurate data leading to poor decision making
- Cost incurred to perform e-search, cost is determined by volume
- Retaining data that obligates responsibility
The lists could continue. Rather, we at Maxis Technology suggest exploring Alchemize, a solution that will archive data safely, reliably, and efficiently. Manage the assets as intended in an Asset Management Lifecycle. Retire assets and all associated data when they no longer provide value or potentially pose a threat. Alchemize provides a means to Govern data according to Data Governance best practices.
Alchemize increases efficiency by 80% or more than the traditional process.
Here are just a few fun facts regarding Alchemize’s ability to archive data in a Maximo system:
- Alchemize increases archive efficiency by 80% or more in a Maximo system, regardless of customizations or database systems used.
- More directly stated, Alchemize decreases the timeline and costs associated with archiving Maximo by 80%.
- Alchemize automates the system analysis and system to system data mapping process.
- IT and Business will spend more time enjoying lunch together. (Maybe not. But if you made it this far, it’s time to schedule a demonstration. Or at least have a look at this video.)
May you govern your data with vengeance, Cheers!